Secret Society
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Change of forum platform

3 posters

Go down

Change of forum platform Empty Change of forum platform

Post  Chatuyscha Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:32 am

Had some thoughts on change of the platform for our forum, due to inputs from members. Had some investigation on the matter and my suggestion is that we consider moving this forum over to GuildPortal :

http://www.guildportal.com/

I see some benefits by doing this, due to the services they provide on guildmanagement etc.

2 models are possible.
1. The free page with no cost, but limited space to 15 mb.
2. The subscription model, with 6 months for 45$ or 7,5$ a month. As far as i can see there is a donation possiblity via paypal, to get the cash in from members if they like to support the forumpage.

If we decide to change our forum platform and go for the subscription model im willing to put in the payment for the first 6 month period (20 cigarettes cost 6,43$ here, so a little less smoking might finance it)
Chatuyscha
Chatuyscha

Back to top Go down

Change of forum platform Empty Re: Change of forum platform

Post  abyssya Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:42 pm

We could see how the free one goes and then switch over if we see it as nessasary?
abyssya
abyssya

Back to top Go down

Post  Neobe Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:52 pm

Guild Portal is good for Homepages but not for forums.
caus 15mb is nothing you will have that full in a few days.

Why do we need a new forum anyway?
To have such a big and colourfull Homepage/Forum you need a lot of time.
Neobe
Neobe
Admin

http://secretsocietyddo.jimdo.com

Back to top Go down

Change of forum platform Empty ref. forum

Post  Chatuyscha Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:22 pm

As i see it, i see some pros with better all ready developed tools designed for guild use/ guild management. In fact there might be some timesaving. Especially if we continue growing in members, and want to keep a high level of activity with raids and so. So on a longer run i see some timesaving in administration of guild activities.

The cons : a free solution on guildportal will be brought to its knees within a week or 2 due to the max space limited to 15 mb. So if this is to be done with benefit its the subscription solution thats in play, with a cost for having it running

But ok question is basically down to what substance there is on forum. No idea with some fancy "can do all" frame, if there nothing in it to fill it out.

I´m sure we can do the same management and activities here on raidplanning, discussions etc.. on a no cost basis
Chatuyscha
Chatuyscha

Back to top Go down

Post  abyssya Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:37 pm

What I meant was, go free to start with to see if it is a format that the guild likes and works for us before we commit any cash to it. Personly, i'm not familiar with that website so i'm not willing to put any of my own money into it untill I can see what it can do and if it will be of any use to us.

Another point is not a huge percentage of our current users frequent the forum we have. I doubt us paying for a new one will make them anymore likely to.
abyssya
abyssya

Back to top Go down

Change of forum platform Empty Ref platform change

Post  Chatuyscha Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:15 am

U r down to basics with what i prefer to call substance of the site. And as i replied to Neobe, im a little quick on this one i guess. I can see some benefits if we get more traffic here and gets more activities rolling. As things are currently, this site is sufficient. I do some more research on what they can offer compared to what we have here.
Especially in the light that the benefits of a change in my opinion first will come if we go on the subscription model. i do some more research on the issue on what they can offer.
Chatuyscha
Chatuyscha

Back to top Go down

Change of forum platform Empty Examples after research + i´ve learned something

Post  Chatuyscha Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:52 pm

Had some looking on what they offer

Heres the page from heartbreakers and lifetakers hosted on guildportal, on what seems to be an subscription account.

http://www.guildportal.com/Guild.aspx?GuildID=196775&TabID=1661981

What seems to be the biggest difference between free/pay models is space on server. the tools seems to be available on both models.

More details on the tools guildportal offer comes here :

http://www.guildportal.com/features/

Now to the what i´ve learned part.

I was as already mentioned a little quick on the trigger when posting this request/vote. I realized we somehow have to have a discussion and some research on this, before going on to a vote on the matter. So take it easy on the voting on this one.
Chatuyscha
Chatuyscha

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum